History of Aramac, QLD
PREPARED BY ARAMAC SHIRE COUNCIL
ARAMAC HISTORICAL DATES
1859 William Landsborough on his exploring trip which took him through the West of Queensland, discovered the Creek on the northern banks of which this Town now stands. He named Aramac Creek after his friend Robert Ramsay MacKenzie, who was known as R.R. Mac. In 1859 Robert Ramsay MacKenzie entered the first Queensland Parliament as Member for Burnett and has the distinction of holding the portfolio of the State's first Treasurer.
1861 First grazing land taken up when Nat Buchanan and William Landsborough secured a lease of 96 sq. miles of country incorporating Bowen Downs and Mount Cornish.
1863 John Rule and Dyson Lacy arrive on Aramac Creek and take up country naming their property Aramac Station. In its heyday Aramac Station shore over 100,000 sheep employing 40 shearers.
1867 Central West Railway line opened from Rockhampton to Westwood - 17th Sept., 1867.
Robert Ramsay MacKenzie becomes Premier of Queensland - 1867/68.
1869 First Hotel License in Aramac granted to Jack Kingston, Aramac Hotel.
The first Police to patrol the district were the black Police under a White Sub-Inspector. The first Police camp was at Stainburn 12 miles west from Aramac, under Sub-Inspector James McKay Dunne. Two of the first Police Constables stationed here were Peter O'Malley and John Cockle.
1870 First Agricultural Show held in Western Queensland. Venue-Six Mile on Aramac Station.
1871 First white boy born in Aramac on 31st October. William Broadbent was born to James Broadbent, a labourer, and his wife Eliza, nee Bourne.
1872 First white girl born in the district was Ellen (Nellie) McIntyre on 24th Nov., to Joseph Mcintyre, a labourer, and his wife Margaret, nee Johnston. Legend has it that this child was born while her parents were camped on the banks of Aramac Creek. Nellie Mcintyre died in 1937 as Mrs. Jackson.
Aramac Court conducts first business on 9th March, when John Rule, J.P. granted William Marley a Hawkers License.
1874 Postal Services established Aramac 1st March.
Royal Hotel built.
1875 Survey of Aramac Township completed 23rd March by Frank Scarr, Licensed surveyor of Blackall. (The following names appear on the original Lithograph - George Porter of the Royal Hotel; William Mills - Butcher; Edward Schneider - Cordial Manufacturer; John Kingston - Aramac Hotel; John Farrell and Alfred Burt - Storekeepers; James Field - Private House; John Coleman - Blacksmith. There was also the Police quarters and Court House).
Aramac Township named on 1st January - originally known as Marathon.
License granted for Royal Hotel - owner George Porter.
Queensland National Bank opens branch in Aramac, Closed when the Bank crashed in the early nineties; re-opened in 1913; closed again 1967.
1876 First Medical Practitioner to hang out shingle was Dr. Ben Poulton.
1377 Gray Rock boasts of having Hotel; license granted to Thomas Byrnes 10th July, '77.
Aramac pioneers racing in Central Hest, under the name of the Mitchell District Grassfed Racing Club. In this the King of Sports, Aramac has the distinction of racing for the most valuable cup in Australia, "The Foy Cup" presented by H.V. Foy of Auteuil Station, Aramac.
1878 First School built.
First slaughtering License granted to William Mills.
1879 Local government comes to Aramac with the Gazettal on 11th November, 1879 of "The Aramac Divisional Board".
The first Hospital opened; it was built at a cost of £720, exclusive of furniture.
Brick works established; proprietors Christian Petersen and Thomas Ganner.
Marathon Hotel built by Jack Kingston; license granted 16th December, 1879.
Central West Railway Line extends to Emerald 26th May.
1880 Inaugural Meeting Aramac Divisional Board, 18th April, 1880, in Court House. (This Board forerunner to Aramac Shire Council)
Town boasts of Newspaper known as"Aramac Times", edited by William John Hodda.
1881 Central West Line opened to Bogantungan.
1882 Present Court House and Police Residence erected in Aramac.
1884 Henry Dyer granted Licence for the Hen and Chicken Hotel at Bullock Creek.
Central West Line opened to Alpha 22nd September.
1885 Central West Line opened to Jericho 2nd June,
1886 Central West Line opened to Barcaldine 7th November.
1891 First Arbor Day in Aramac with the planting of Moreton Bay Figs; medal struck.
1892 Central West Line opened to Longreach 15th February.
1896 Artesian Water reticulated in Aramac.
1898 Bank of New South Wales opens Aramac Branch.
1900 Longreach cedes from Aramac Shire.
1903 Ilfracombe cedes from Aramac Shire
1907 Tramway poll conducted.
1908 Present race course layed out.
1909 New Hospital built.
1913 Aramac Tramway opened on 2nd July. Cost of £1800 per mile; complete with track, engine, water gin, carriage, station and sidings the venture cost £74371.
First Shire Hall erected; purchased from Barcaldine for £500; reinstated at Aramac fully furnished and cost £1500. This building was sold in 1967 for £900.
1914 Last Mail Coach runs between Aramac and Barcaldine.
Telephone line from Rockhampton to Emerald connected.
Sanitary and garbage system inaugurated for Aramac township.
Cr. S.P. Fraser retired from Council after 29 years service.
Rateable land valuation in the Shire amounts to £519,066; General Rates of ¾d in the £1 struck.
1915 Shire of Jericho proclaimed.
B15 Type Engine purchased for Tramway; cost £2002.
1916 Marathon Bore Water Board elected.
1920 Miss Hallam forms Committee to raise funds for erection War Memorial, Aramac.
1921 Gold Medals for service to Tramway presented to employees D. Roots, J.S. Williams, O. Affoo, J. Doherty and I. Neilson.
Robert Gibson Miller, Shire Clerk since 1901, presented with Local Government Clerk's Certificate.
1923 Death of Mr. S.P Fraser, Chairman of the Shire for 25 years.
1924 Cr. S.H. Fraser elected Chairman; retired 1936; re-elected 1939-1942.
Council merchandises Road plant with purchase of Thornicroft lorry.
Tramway award grants Driver £6. 2. 6d. per week; Fireman £5. 5. 0d. per week.
1925 War Memorial erected Aramac - cost £700.
1926 First Petrol Bowser installed at Aramac at McEffer and Smart's Garage.
Landsborough Bridge built.
Mt. Cornish Station cut up for closer settlement.
1946 Aramac Fire Brigade Board gazetted.
1947 Aramac Memorial Park opened 18th October.
1948 Trans Australia Airlines inaugurates air service to Aramac, 6th October.
1951 Queensland Ambulance Transport Brigade service commenced in Aramac.
1952 Aramac Memorial Swimming Pool and Electricity supplied to Aramac, 13th September.
1956 Nurses' Quarters built at Aramac Hospital.
1958 Present Aerodrome opened.
Aramac Tramway converts from steam to Diesel powered locomotives.
1963 Opening of the new Fire Station, Aramac.
1964 First Secondary School established (in old Shire Hall).
1965 First Secondary School Building opened.
Royal Hotel demolished.
Muttaburra Sewerage installed.
The S.S. ARAMAC the 13,600 ton E. & A. passenger Liner on maiden voyage between Australia and the Far East.
Bowling Green opened.
1966 New Shire Hall officially opened by State Treasurer, Hon. G.W. Chalk.
Aramac Sewerage installed.
1967 National Bank of Australasia Limited closes.
1968 Marathon Hotel burnt down.
Second Diesel Locomotive (18 ton) for Aramac Tramway arrives.
First 5-Mile of the Aramac-Barcaldine road bitumen sealed.
Night lighting on Aramac Bowling Green installed.
Herbert Vere Evatt