Charles Tilbury (1829-1891)
- Charles & Emma
Charles Tilbury (1829-1891)
- Father: ? Hodgson
- Born: 1828, Westminster
- Married: 20 Apr 1851, Charles Tilbury, St. Botolph Aldgate, London
- Baptism 1830 Charles Tilbury
- Marriage 1851 Charles Tilbury, Emma Hodgson
- Birth 1868 Charles Richard Tilbury
- Birth 1880 Anna Emma Franklin
- Death 1891 Charles Tilbury
[source Alan Tilbury]
Charles Tilbury was the seventh son and the last of the thirteen children of Thomas Tilbury and Ann Durden.
1851. The census shows Charles (21) living with his parents at 31 Mornington Road, St.Pancras, a couple of weeks before his marriage. The public Census records, transcribed from the original documents, state Samuel and Charles' occupations incorrectly - Samuel was an upholsterer and Charles was a cabinet maker.
On 20 Apr Charles married Emma Hodgson at St. Botolph without Aldgate.
Two daughters were born in St. Marylebone and a third, Sarah Jane Tilbury, in 1855 at Kings Norton, now a part of greater Birmingham. His sister Harriet Wivell nee Tilbury was living at Kings Norton at the time. Charles' sister Eleanor Hopkins nee Tilbury lived very close to the centre of Birmingham where she had a window blind and curtain business and sister Sophia Nichols nee Tilbury also spent some time in the Aston area of Birmingham, where the second of her three children was born.
1861. Charles was again living in London, where his fourth daughter, Fanny Tilbury, had been born about five years earlier. The next three censuses list him as a as a cabinet maker living at different addresses in East London.
1868. Son Charles Richard was born on 27 May at home, 4 Bath Place, Haggerstone. The birth was registered 6 Jul 1868.
1891. Charles Tilbury (62), husband of Emma, was a patient at the Metropolitan Hospital, Kingsland Road, Hackney (RG 12/0190/103) but died at his home on 14th Aug 1891. His death certificate states the cause of death as cancer of the neck, debility and exhaustion.
- Children of Charles & Emma
Ann Emma (1851-)
Ann Emma Tilbury was born 21 Nov 1851 at 27 Capland St, St.Marylebone.
She married William Trix Stanborough (born 20 Jul 1854 in Liverpool) on 6 Aug 1876.
Ann and William Stanborough are known to have had two children:
- Margaret Stanborough, born 1878 at Islington, London.
- Charles Stanborough, born 1881 at Islington, London.
Charlotte Sophia (1854-1916)
Charlotte Sophia Tilbury was born 14 Mar 1854 at 36 Upper Charlton St., Marylebone. She died at the age of 52 on 15 Feb 1916 in Hackney.
Sarah Jane (1855-)
Sarah Jane Tilbury was born 17 Aug 1855 at Longmore St, Kings Norton, Worcestershire.
She married William John Dowsett (born 1850) on 19 Feb 1877 at St. Thomas' Bethnal Green, London.
Sarah and William Dowsett had four children, all born in Hackney, London:
- Ann Caroline Dowsett, born 8 Sep 1875 at 1 Lower Duncan St.
Ann married George Alfred Askew (born 1872 in Hackney) in 1894 at Hackney. They had 3 children, all born in Hackney:
[1901 Census at 39 Duncan St, Hackney: Harry Askew 30, wife Caroline 27, daughter Caroline 7, son William 5]
- George Alfred Askew, born 1895
- Emily Elizabeth Askew, born 1897
- Florence Henrietta Askew, born 1899
- William John Dowsett, born 25 Dec 1877 in Haggerston
- Sarah Dowsett, born 1880
- Edith Dowsett, born 1882.
Edith married Albert Edward Hands in 1904 at Hackney. They had 2 children:
- Edith Florence S. Hands, born 17 Sep 1905 at Shoreditch, died Jane 2001
- Ada Emily Hands, born 27 Jan 1917. Ada married Richard George Payze in 1953 at Hackney. Ada died in 1988 at Southend.
Fanny Florence (1862-)
Fanny Florence Tilbury was born 31 Mar 1862 at 16 St. Paul's Terrace, St. Pancras.
Fanny and John Thomas Franklin were married on 29 Aug 1880 at Hackney, Middlesex. They had six children, all born in Clapton, London:
- Anna Emma Franklin, born 4 Dec 1880 at 1 Prince of Wales Terrace, Hackney.
- Henry J. Franklin, born 1889 at Hackney.
- Sarah Jane Franklin, born 1891 at Clapton, London.
- George Franklin, born 1892 at Clapton.
- Frederick Franklin, born c.1894 at Clapton.
- Alfred William Franklin, born c.1899 Clapton.
1901. The Census registered the family living at 8 Southwold Tce, Southwold Rd, Hackney. John Franklin (42, Ba? man) and daughter Annie Franklin (20, laundress) worked from home.
Charles Richard (1868-1919)
Charles Richard Tilbury was born 27 May 1868 at 4 Bath Place, Hackney, London and died 9 Mar 1919 at Stratford, London.
Charles married Elizabeth Radley (born 27 Jan 1874 in Dulverton, Somerset) on 20 Nov 1893 at Bethnal Green, London.
Charles and Elizabeth had two children:
- Emily Elizabeth Tilbury (1895-1982), born 4 Dec 1895 at 8 North St., Hackney, died 8 Jun 1982 at Uckfield. Emily married Walter Benjamin Mitchell (1895-1964) in 1921 at Chailey, Sussex. They had a son, Roy Eric Mitchell (1926-2013), who married Agnes May Davis and had six children.
- William Charles Tilbury (1899-1986), born 15 Apr 1899 at Shoreditch, London and died 22 Feb 1986 at Hastings. William married Ivy Selina Hammond (1907-1945) on 11 Nov 1933 at Fletching, Sussex. Ivy died 18 Jul 1945 and was buried at St.Mary's Church, North Chailey, Sussex.
William and Ivy had two children:
- Alan, who married Dorothy Ann Couldridge (born 5 Oct 1930). Dorothy died 20 Apr 2012 in Kent.
- Jean Tilbury.
1901. The Census for 32 Chambord St, Bethnal Green shows 2 families living at the same address:
- Richard Ballard (75, retired cabinet maker, born Bethnal Green, old & infirm) and wife Ann (58, paper bag maker, born Bethnal Green)
- the family of Charles: Charles Tilbury (36, railway laborer, born Haggerston), wife Elizabeth (26, born Somertshire, Delverton), daughter Emily (5, born Hackney), son William (2, born Hackney).