Esther Sophia Watters nee Tilbury (1878-1976)

Esther (Ettie)

The Tilburys spent many long and happy holidays with the Hockings family at Rockhampton and Emu Park. Ettie was well-remembered at Emu Park for rescuing a drowning gentleman from the water at Ladies Beach, an area that was set aside for bathing by ladies only - men had their own beach (a much less dangerous one) and bathing boxes around the headland. For this exploit she was awarded a bravery medal... So goes the tale, which has been passed down and was told to me by Ted Hockings. Research has revealed that the man was in fact a girl of 17 years of age and the details are included here.

1894. On 22 Sep the Mayor of Rockhampton handed Ettie a bronze medal and certificate, awarded to her by the Royal Humane Society of Australasia for her exertions on 13 Nov 1893 to save the life of Adolphine Heidemann, who had been swept out by the current at the ladies' bathing beach at Emu Park. His Excellency the Governor was unable to make the presentation but wrote to her asking if a public presentation could be made in Rockhampton at a later date. Both Esther and her father James preferred that the presentation be made privately and a small ceremony took place on Sat 22 Sep in James' house at Victoria Pde. The Mayor was accompanied by Alderman S.W. Hartley and Town Clerk Mr. W. David. They were met by James and Esther, Ettie, her brothers and sister, Mr G.R. Turnbull and Mr. E.K. Ogg.

The medal bears in relief a female figure placing a wreath on the head of another who kneels in front. Above the figure is the motto Virtute paratum. On the reverse side are the words "Royal Humane Society of Australasia. Awarded to Esther Tilbury, 13th November 1893". The medal was accompanied by a parchment scroll, the certificate of the Society.1

The story was reported in newspapers across Queensland; the following is taken from the Morning Bulletin, Rockhampton, 16 Nov 1893:


A magisterial inquiry into the death by drowning of Adolphine Heidemann, at Emu Park on Monday evening, was held at the Police Station there yesterday by Mr. W. McIlwraith, J.P.
Martha Heidemann, sister of the deceased, said she last saw her sister at Mr. Ogg's on Monday evening about five o'clock : she was then in good health and spirits, and was going out to bathe ; she never saw her again.
Wilhelm Heidemann, selector, Wilhelms Hohe, Yeppoon, said deceased was his daughter ; she was born at Malchow, Germany, and was seventeen years of age; the body shown him at Mr. Ogg's residence, Emu Park, on Tuesday, was that of his daughter.
Esther Tilbury said she was fifteen years of age on her last birthday ; she was a daughter of Mr. J.T. Tilbury, Rockhampton, and was residing at present with Mr. R.K. Ogg, Emu Park ; on Monday last she was bathing at the ladies' beach ; Adolphine Heidemann was bathing there at thc same time ; deceased was further out than witness was ; witness was about to leave the water when she looked round and saw Adolphine ; her face only was above the water ; she was calling out, but not using any words ; witness cried to the children to call for help, swam out to Adolphine's assistance, and as she did so told deceased not to catch her round the neck, but to catch hold of her shoulder or back ; witness reached her, and Adolphine caught hold of the back of her bathing gown; witness tried to swim ashore with her; she swam some distance, dragging deceased with her, but found thc current was too strong for them ; she did not think she would be uble to take her all the way ashore, and she looked up to the bank, and could not see any signs of the children having given an alarm ; she then called for help, held up her right arm, and tried to swim with her left, but found she could not, and went under ; they came up again, and Adolphine was holding her more by the side, so that she could not get into swimming position again ; Adolphine was gasping and calling out, and they both went down again ; witness was swimming a little; and deceased did not seem to he holding her so tight ; they seemed to be going out then ; she could not hold up any longer, and they went under ; as they went down Adolphine gasped, and said "I am going ;" Adolphine let go witness's gown ; witness came up alone and swam a few strokes, but did not think she could get in ; she looked round and saw Adolpbine's hair on the surface of the water, a good way out from her ; she swam a little way, but being exhausted went down again ; she then found she was in her depth, and managed to struggle ashore herself ; Mr. Rutherford was near, taking off his boots ; she looked round and saw Adolpbine's hair about as far as she could see near thc rocks ; there were other gentlemen besides Mr. Rutherford on the beach by this time : Adolphine could not swim, but could help herself a little by dog-paddling.
At the close of this witness's evidence, the Magistrale said he deemed it his duty, occupying the position he did in connection with the inquiry, to compliment Miss Tilbury very highly on the splendid efforts she had made to save Adolphine Heidemann from drowning.
S.W.H. Rutherford, said he resided al Sans Souci, Emu Park ; he remembered the evening of Monday last; he was on the hill overlooking the ladies' bathing place between half-past five and six o'clock ; he was in his buggy with his wife, and when he drove up he noticed several women and children bathing in a place not usually bathed in, being close to the rocks on the south side; he thought they were in a dangerous place, and waited and watched ; he noticed one female in a dark bathing costume go out very far, and then one in a red costume swam quickly towards her - or appeared to swim ; he got out of the buggy, and took the horse out, thinking he might be of assistance in case of an accident ; from the buggy he went towards the beach and looked down ; as the children did not seem alarmed he thought it might appear foolish in him going down, and he went back to the buggy ; he watched the two farthest out, and as they were floating together he thought they were only amusing themselves ; then he saw the one in the red costume swim away from the other, and come towards the beach ; just about this time the children ran up as if frightened ; there was no alarm - he watched for that : the girl in the red dress seemed to be in distress ; she was coming out alone ; he ran towards the beach, and as he did so hailed another man on the hill; at the same time he saw the head and hair of the woman he had first noticed, floating on the waler ; as quickly as he could he undressed, and the man did so also ; the girl in the red dress whom he had seen in the water, came towards, and passed them ; he was told she was Miss Tilbury, but he could not recognise her again ; as he went into the water he could not see anything of the other girl ; he went on to the rocks to endeavour to see her, but did not see her again ; he went into the water, but the current ran so strong it took him out of his depth before he knew where he was ; he saw he could do nothing against such a current, as he was not a very strong swimmer, and he made for the rocks again ; the current drew him back so much he thought he would not reach them, and he had to get the assistance of the other man, who had come down, to attain firm footing : he continued to watch for the girl in the hope something could be done, but he never saw her again ; a number of other men went in off the rocks; they must have been swimming, but no one saw the girl again : he thought the girl in the red dress must have made a heroic attempt to save the other : he did not think when he saw the two girls so long together there was any danger ; they appeared to him to be playing ; they did not seem to him to be carried along by thc current ; they were about seven yards from the rocks ; it would have required a strong swimmer and a good diver to have rescued the girl at the time the other man and he went into the water.
Constable Johnson stated that search parties had gone out on Monday night, and on Tuesday the body of Adolphine Heidemann was found on the rocks between the men's bathing place and Cave Hill ; it was low water about six o'clock on Monday evening.
Miss Tilbury, recalled, said it was between five and six o'clock on Monday evening the event she had referred to happened ; she had on a red bathing dress on Monday evening.
This closed the inquiry.1

Esther & John

Esther (Ettie) Sophia Tilbury (1878-1976)

John Campbell Watters (1870-1938)

  • Father: Andrew Watters (1832?-)
  • Mother: Jane Cooper nee McWhannell (1841-)
  • Born: 10 Dec 1870, Balquhidder, Perth, Scotland
  • Married: 21 Sep 1906, Esther Sophia Tilbury, QLD
  • Died: 27 Apr 1938, late of Gordon, Sydney, NSW

Esther (Ettie) Sophia married John Campbell Watters in Queensland on 21 Sep 1906:


A very pretty and interesting wedding was celebrated on the morning of September 21 at St. Paul's Anglican Cathedral, Rockhampton, by the Ven. Archdeacon Halford. The bridegroom was Mr. John Campbell Watters, manager of Rodney Downs station, Ilfracombe, and the bride Miss Ettie Tilbury, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Tilbury, Grantham, Victoria-parade. The bride, who was given away by her father, looked very graceful in a gown of white chiffon glace over a glace silk slip. The full trained skirt had a deep flounce, and was trimmed with chiffon horseshoes and true lovers' knots, and small sprays of orange blossom. The pretty bodice was made with a transparent yoke of Honiton lace, embroidered in silver, and was finished with a dainty berthe composed of rows of narrow chiffon. She wore a wreath and veil, and carried a lovely bouquet of choice white flowers and asparagus piumosus.—The only bridesmaid was Miss Blanche Tilbury (sister of the bride), who wore a very pretty and becoming frock of ciel-blue crystalline over a silk slip. The bodice had a yoke of white Valenciennes lace, a chiffon berthe, and a deep floral silk belt of pale heliotrope, and the skirt was trimmed with narrow frills. She wore a hat of cream crinoline trimmed with dhiffon and roses in shades of heliotrope. Her Nellie Stewart bangle was the bridegroom's gift. Mr. M. Watters (the bridegroom's brother) acted as best man. The bride's mother, who was accompanied by her youngest son, Mr. Clive Tilbury, wore a very handsome gown of black Louisine, trimmed with silk applique ; black tulle toque with heliotrope flowers. The only guests were Miss Gardner (the bride's aunt), and Mr. and Mrs. E. K. Ogg. The church was very prettily decorated by several girl friends of the bride with white lilies and freezias and greenery. Mr. F. Crawford presided at the organ, and a number of the girl friends of the bride sang " The voice that breathed o'er Eden." The building was crowded with interested spectators. After the ceremony at the Cathedral the wedding party drove to the residence of the bride's parents, where morning tea was served. The bride and bridegroom left by the midday train for Gladstone, where they with [sic] catch the Bingera for Townsville, en route to the Barron Falls. The bride travelled in a very becoming frock of heliotrope linen, trimmed with Broderie Anglaise, and made with a coatee and tucked skirt and a muslin vest; a burnt straw sailor hat with pale-blue and heliotrope tulle, and a cachepeigne of pale-pink roses and hydrangea. They intend to be away about three weeks, and will remain on their return on a very brief visit in Rockhampton, en route to their Western home.1

[ John's brother M.Watters may be Alexander Murray Mcgregor Watters. First name of Ettie's aunt (Esther Gardner's sister) unknown.]

Ettie and John had three children:

  • James (Jim) Campbell Watters, born 1907 in Queensland.
  • Donald Tilbury Watters, born 1908 in Queensland.
  • Esther Watters, born 1911 in Queensland.

John was the Surveyor of Aramac [needs research].

Of interest is that Ettie appears to have been a property owner in Aramac, as per the following excerpt from the Aramac Shire Council Monthly Meeting minutes, 28th Mar 1930:

Permission to enclose roads within the boundaries of their selections subject to the erection of properly constructed gates where fences cross the road were granted to

H. Shakespeare, G.H. 3535. Five chain road on the western boundary and traversing the northern portion; portion of the 5 chain road on the southern boundary; 5 chain road on the western boundary, and 5 chain road on the southern boundary of the north-eastern portion.

C. Paterson, G.H. 3575. Forty chain road running east, and the 20 chain road running north-east through his holding. Also 31 chain road along his southern boundary.

Jessie M. Clark, G.F. 10,708. Three chain road traversing her holding North and south.

E. S. Watters, G.H. 3439. Three chain road along the western boundary of her holding.2

1930. John was the manager of 'Glen Ample', Aramac and ran 10,000 sheep on 50,000 acres. The property included 2,000 acres of floodplain and 2,500 acres of thick stoney scrub. One bore watered the property at a cost of 7d/acre. His average price for greasy wool in 1923 was 23d/lb. In April of 1930 he sold 81 bales for an average of 7½d/lb, and in July, 226 bales at an average of 10¾d/lb. Roy Archibald Stobo, Stock and Station Agent, Aramac, kept books for twenty selectors in the Aramac, Jericho and Muttaburra districts. He found the cost and gross returns of working these selections varied from 6/ to 9/ per sheep. He knew one selector who showed expenses at 6/ and gross returns at 9/ and in other cases the expenses far exceeded the returns. The cost of 4/4 per head to rail sheep from Aramac to Newmarket often exceeded the net return. Graziers held onto their sheep, hoping for higher prices. Most consignments at Newmarket were of sheep 5-6 years old, some up to 10 years old.3

John retired as a grazier and he and Ettie moved to Sydney.

1938. John Campbell Watters, son of the late Andrew Watters of Glenample, Scotland, died suddenly at his residence at 4 Henry St, Gordon, NSW at the age of 68. The Rockhampton Morning Bulletin, on 28 Apr 1938, reported:

News has been received in Rockhampton of the death in Sydney yesterday of Mr J. C. Watters. Some years ago Mr Watters was a well known pastoralist in Central Queensland, and manager of Rodney Downs, Ilfracombe. He married Miss Ettie Tilbury, eldest daughter of the late Mr and Mrs J. T. Tilbury, and a sister of Mrs E. M. Hockings, of Rockhampton. After leaving Queensland Mr and Mrs Watters resided at Gordon, Sydney, for a long period. Their daughter (Miss Esther Watters) and one son, Donald, are in Sydney, and another son, James, has a pastoral property in New South Wales.

Probate was granted on his will in November, personalty £2783.

1944. Ettie was living at 4 Henry St, Gordon at the time of her brother George Arthur Tilbury's death in Chatswood.

1958. Living at 23 Carlotta Ave, Gordon. Aunt Ettie’s home was a "Sydney home" to the Rockhampton Hockings children on many happy occasions.

[notes from letters of Ettie] Wrote to Blanche of celebration of "Natal day" with Poppy, Esther and Edie T and Rita McWhannel. (The McWhannels were related to Campbell and Willie Watters. Willie lived with them at Strathfield, a lovely old stone house, when he retired from 'Glen Ample'. Ted Hockings visited them during the war and they provided a magnificent ’old English’ roast dinner.) Poppy made a birthday cake - "a beauty... That lass does not spare the rum so it would keep fresh for half a year I am sure". Ann [grandaughter?] rang, Don visited. Ann "off duty". Death of "Harry" [?female]. The Bill Rudds staying at Greengate while Jim was there.

Some years prior to 1966 Ettie gave Lloyd David Tilbury volumes of Robert Burns which had belonged to her father James Thompson (Lloyd’s grandfather).

1976. Ettie died 22 Jul at the age 98 at Roseville (formerly of Gordon), Sydney.

The Watters

John Campbell Watter's father Andrew Watters (1832?-) may have been the son of Thomas and Isabella Watters nee Campbell. Thomas Watters married Isabel Campbell 5 Aug 1831 at Glenorchy and Inishail, Argyll, Scotland and they had 7 children:

  • Andrew Watters b 13 Nov 1832 c 26 Nov 1832
  • Margaret Watters b 26 Jan 1834
  • Christina Watters b 27 Nov 1835
  • Thomas Watters b 17 Jun 1837
  • Donald Campbell Watters b 17 Apr 1839
  • James Watters b 20 Jan 1841, c 9 Feb 1841
  • Anna Bella C. Watters b 16 Aug 1843, c 10 Sep 1843

Andrew's parentage and birth date are conjecture based on Isabella's surname, Campbell, which is used as a second name for Andrew's son John Campbell. John Campbell's son Donald Campbell also bears the same name as one of Andrew's supposed siblings. If correct, Andrew was the oldest of the 7 children and was born at Glenorchy and Inishail, Argyll and was either christened there or at Fintry, Stirling. The other children were born and christened at Fintry, Stirling.

John Campbell Watter's mother Jane Cooper McWhannell (1841-) (also recorded in Scotland as McWhannel) was the daughter of Duncan and Jane McWhannel nee Cooper. Records show Duncan McWhannel's marriage on 23 Aug 1839 to Jean Couper (Auchterarder, Perth) and Jean Cowper (Comrie, Perth) and births to Jane Cooper and Jane Cowper. Assuming Jean/Jane Cowper/Couper/Cooper are the same person, they had 5 children, all born and christened at Comrie, Perth, Scotland:

  • Jane Cooper McWhannel b 8 Sep 1841, c 11 Oct 1841
  • Thomas McWhannel b 1 Feb 1844, c 10 Mar 1844
  • Martha Mcinnes McWhannel b 10 May 1846, c 7 Jun 1846 (mother recorded as Jane Cowper)
  • Euphemia McWhannel b 31 Jul 1849, c 31 Jul 1849 (mother recorded as Jane Cowper)
  • James Cooper McWhannel b 16 Jul 1851, c 24 Jul 1851.

Andrew Watters married Jane Cooper McWhannell on ?. They had 9 children, the first-born a girl, the others all boys. The first two children were born in Stirling, Scotland, William in Comrie, Perth and the other six born in Balquhidder, Perth, Scotland:

  • Jane Cooper Watters b 23 May 1860
  • Thomas Watters b 12 May 1862
  • Duncan Watters b 17 Jan 1864
  • Andrew Watters b 08 Dec 1865 ?died as infant? 2nd Andrew born 3 years later.
  • James Watters b 06 Dec 1866
  • Andrew Watters b 17 Nov 1868
  • John Campbell Watters b 10 Dec 1870, migrated to Australia, married Esther Sophia Tilbury, died 1938, Gordon NSW.
  • William Watters b 27 Aug 1872, migrated to Australia, married Rita ?, died 28 Aug 1951 in Strathfield NSW.
  • Alexander Murray Mcgregor Watters b 12 Jan 1874.

The Tilbury, McWhannell and Watters families all had very strong ties to Aramac, Qld. The History of Aramac, QLD in the Background section has more information.

It is not known at this point how many of the children, besides John and William, migrated to Australia.

[Possible link for James migrating to Australia? No evidence at this point]
One James Watters married Caroline Jones 1888 QLD, 11 children:

1890 Mary Izetta Watters
1892 William Henry Watters, d1931 QLD
1894 John Allan Watters, d 1922 QLD

1896 Robert James Watters, d 1931 QLD
1899 Elizabeth Watters
1900 Joseph Watters
1901 Charles Leslie Watters [?d 9 Jan 1965, aged 64, at Moruya, late of Panania NSW)
1904 Caroline Monica Watters
1906 Edmund Russell Watters
1908 Thomas Francis Watters
1911 George Vincent Watters
? Philip Dominic Augustine Watters, d 1944 QLD

A James Watters died 30 Dec 1935. If the correct James Watters he'd have been 70. Death notice published in the SMH.

John Campbell Watters (1870–1938)

1870. John, the 7th child and 6th son of Andrew and Jane Cooper nee McWhannell, was born 10 Dec in Perth, Scotland. He migrated to Australia and married Esther Sophia Tilbury in Sep 1906 in Queensland.

1897. An interesting article in The Queenslander newspaper, Sat 11 Dec 1897 records the Tue 7 Dec Land Board hearing of the appeal by George Baldie against the granting of portion 8, Marathon, to John Campbell Watters. Land was divided into "selections", which were then made available for sale using a ballot. This case involved a misdrawn ballot:

A Hughenden Dispute.

In the matter of the Crown Lands Acts 1884-95, and in the matter of an application of George Baldle, of Chaviton, in the colony of Victoria, grazier, to select as an agrlcultural farm portion No. 8v, Marathon [Ed: Marathon was later named Aramac], in the parish of Wyangerle, in the county of Rupert, district of Hughenden, colony of Queensland, and in the matter of an appeal by the said George Baldle from the decision of the commissioner for the district of Hughenden in respect of the said portion, pronounced on the 18th September.

Mr. J. L. Woolcock (Instructed by Mr. G. V. Helliear) for the appellant ; Mr. Arthur Lilley (Instructed by Messrs. Macdonald-Paterson and Hawthorne) for John Campbell Watters, the applicant approved by the commissioner.

In this case it was shown that certain blocks of land were thrown open for selection at Hughenden on the 18th September, and amongst them the portion aforesaid. There were twenty-two applicants for the portion, and a ballot was held. Twenty one names were called, and each applicant drew an envelope. William Hugh Mulligan, as agent for George Baldle, drew the envelope marked "approved," and it was then found that there was still an envelope in the box, and the commissioner ascertained that he had omitted to call upon one of the applicants named Coxon, standing No. 3 on the list. The commissioner thereupon announced that he would hold another drawing, and, on the fresh ballot being taken, Mulligan again drew the envelope marked "approved," this time, however, on behalf of the applicant John Campbell Watters. The commissioner therefore announced that John Campbell Watters was entitled to the selection, and endorsed his application as approved.

Mr. Woolcock based the appeal on the grounds that the ballot on which George Baldle succeeded was the proper ballot, and that the commissioner had no right to take a fresh ballot, and should have confirmed Georgo Baldle's application. Mr. Lilley argued that there was no lottery in the first instance within the meaning of section 49, and that the first ballot was a nullity by reason of its non-compliance with regulation 7, which provides that each applicant shall draw a ticket from the box ; and on the further grounds that Baldle was estopped by his conduct from denying the legality of the first ballot, and that Watters's application was legal and properly confirmed by the commissioner.

After lengthy argument, the case was adjourned, in order that the board might have an opportunity of taking the evidence of William Hugh Mulligan.1

The conclusion of the case has not yet been found.

William (Willie) Watters (1872–1951)

1872. John Campbell Watter’s brother William was born 27 Aug in Lochearnhead, [Balquhidder?] Perthshire, Scotland.

'Glen Ample', Aramac was owned by William. Presumably he bought the property from his father, John when John retired as a grazier and moved to Sydney. Apparently in 1935 it was just a hut and was bought by Victor Bailey. The property had no water and the nearest bore was 5 miles away. Baileys sold to Ben Copeman, who owned a Hereford stud near Moree.

1951. William died 28 Aug at his residence 9 Everton Rd, Strathfield NSW. He was survived by his wife Rita. There is a recorded death for Rita Madge Watters 18 Sep 1972, late of Clovelly NSW, though it's not currently known if this is related.

Obituary: THE PASTORAL REVIEW and Graziers' Record, October 16, 1951:

Many old friends in Central Queensland will regret to learn of the death in Sydney on 28th August of Mr. William Watters, who resided in the Aramac district for a long period.

The late Mr. Watters was a son of Mr. Andrew Watters, of Glenample Estate, Lochearnhead, Perthshire, Scotland, and at the age of 18 he went to Queensland to join his uncle, the late James C. McWhannell, at Rodney Downs. After gaining some years experience on that property he acquired Park Farm, Aramac, which he subsequently named Glenample after his Scottish birthplace, but disposed of it in 1936 and subsequently lived in Sydney. Several brothers and sisters predeceased him in Scotland, while another brother was the late Mr. J. Campbell Watters, who for a number of years resided at Rodney Downs and later owned Spring Valley in the Hughenden district.

Mr. William Watters died after a brief illness at his home at Strathfield, near Sydney. He was one of the most highly respected graziers in Central Queensland, his friendly disposition and quiet dignity appealing to all who had the privilege of being acquainted with him. His widow survives him.2

Children of Esther & John

James (Jim) Campbell Watters (1907-1982)

James (Jim) Campbell Watters (1907-1982), son of Esther Sophia
Agnes (Poppy/Pops) Harriet Cadell (Walker) Watters (1902-1995), wife of Jim Watters
Lloyd David Tilbury with Jim & Pops Watters ca1950

James (Jim) was the son of John Campbell Watters (ca1875-1938) and Esther Sophia Watters nee Tilbury (1878-1976).
1907. Jim was born in Queensland.

1929-1932. Overseer at properties 'Gundabooka' and 'Yanda' (between Cobar and Bourke, via Louth) for nearly four years.

1945. Jim married Agnes Harriet Cadell (Poppy/Pops) Walker (1902-1995) at North Sydney, NSW. Poppy was the daughter of Thomas William Walker and Mary Grace Walker nee Cadell, who were married 1896 in Wickham NSW and had 4 children in the Sydney area, of whom Pops was the 3rd:

  • George C. Walker b 1897, Redfern, ?d 1931 St.Peters NSW
  • Marjorie I. Walker b 1899, Redfern
  • Agnes Harriet Cadell Walker (Pops) b 1902, Marrickville
  • Alan John Walker b 1904, Marrickville, d 1976 NSW.

Jim and Pops did not have any children.

1962. Living at ‘Lockerbie’ (property).

1966. Jim and Pops were in Brisbane 9 Jun for the funeral service of Marjorie Sparks at Mt.Thompson Crematorium. Marjorie was a sister of Pops and married Dr Robert Spacks at Toowoomba. Dr Sparks was the doctor of the Ted Hockings family.

1966. Living at 'Karnkendi', 49 Norfolk St, Killara. Jim took his first commercial flight in a plane. He had only been up once before over 'Lockerbie' in a Cessna to show the pilot where to drop superphosphate in Oct 1962. The flight to Brisbane in a Viscount was the roughest Bill Walker, a seasoned world-wide traveller, had ever experienced. Jim and Pops returned the same day in an Electra but halfway through the flight an engine caught fire, forcing them to return to Brisbane and wait five hours before boarding a DC6 ex-New Guinea plane, which arrived at Sydney's Mascot airport just after midnight.

1966. Jim and Pops, who both missed the country, took a drive out west in October and travelled 1,046 miles in five days. The country west of Trangie was in poor condition; the drought had not broken in the Nyngan area and Cobar was badly in need of some good rains. The desert started 40 miles west of Cobar; the Barrier Highway from Nyngan to 40 miles past Cobar had been straightened and sealed, the rest of the road to Wilcannia remained as dirt.

19?. Living at Kissing Point Rd, Killara.

1982. Jim died 7 Apr and Pops moved to the Abbotsholme retirement village at 9 Greengate Ave, Killara.

1995. Pops died 20 May at Abbotsholme at the age of 93.

Donald Tilbury Watters (1908-c1975)

Donald was the son of John Campbell Watters (c1875-1938) and Esther Sophia nee Tilbury (1878-1976).

1908. Donald Tilbury Watters was born in Queensland.

1938. On 31 Dec the engagement was announced of Donald Tilbury Watters to Marion Mackie, youngest daughter of Mr and Mrs T.H. Kirkpatrick, of Gordon. Donald's father James Campbell Watters had died in April of the same year.

1939. Married Marion Mackie Kirkpatrick at North Sydney and had two children, Ann Watters and Campbell Watters.

Daughter Ann [nurse?] married Phillip Satchell and in Oct 1966 they were living in Adelaide, with Ann’s baby due the end of Jan 1967. Phillip was working with the ABC, arranging musical programmes for ABC Radio. He had arranged approximately 18 Gilbert & Sullivan plays which were to be broadcast in Dec 1966 and had also done some work for television.

Son Campbell?

1987. Donald died 8 Jun at the age of 79.

Esther Watters (1911-1971)

Daughter of John Campbell Watters (c1875-1938) and Esther Sophia nee Tilbury (1878-1976).

1911. Esther was born in Queensland.

1937. Esther travelled from Sydney to Rockhampton by the mall train to attend the wedding of cousin Esther Hockings and Edward Wallace Duncan. She stayed with her uncle and aunt, Blanche and Edwin Hockings at Wandal Road, Rockhampton.

Esther did not marry and was to die of cancer before her mother, Ettie. She devoted her life to nursing and served as a nursing sister in the Army during the war. Ted Hockings ran across her at Morotai (Celebes) the day before his brother Tom was killed by Japanese anti-aircraft fire over Balikpapan.

1971. Esther, 60, died 6 Nov at Royal North Shore Hospital, St.Leonards (late of Gordon), Sydney.

[1] The Queenslander, Sat 29 Sep 1906, NLA
[2] Longreach Leader 28th Mar 1930, NLA
[3] National Library Archives
[4] Obituaries Australia, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University

Add Comment

Note: For privacy reasons your email address is not published. If you wish to publish it, add it to the text of your comment and it will be given spam-protection masking.