George Arthur Tilbury (1875-1944)

George Arthur & Marcus Edward, sons of James Thompson Tilbury2

1875. George Arthur was born 25 Aug at the home of James and Esther in Balmain, Sydney.

1876. When he was 12 months old the family moved to Queensland’s Central District where for some years his father James carried on a storekeeping business at Aramac and another at Winton. The drought of 1883-85 proved disastrous and the family may have returned to Sydney for several years.

1886. The family moved to Rockhampton and Marcus (11) and George (10) entered the Rockhampton Grammar School (RGS).

1890. George left the RGS, aged about 15.

1892. George joined the Bank of Australasia as a junior. In 1895 he was recorded as a Ledger Keeper. There are numerous reports, beginning 4 Jun 1895, of him appearing at Rockhampton Police Court to give evidence, generally against men being charged for forged and/or dishonoured cheques.

He was involved in many sporting activities: he was a member of the Rockhampton Rifle Club and the Rowing Club and took part in Cycling races. In 1892 he and his brother Marcus were both rowing, Marcus (10st) in the bow position, George (9st) at number 2 position. In 1894 he was in bow position for a 4-oared race between 'Berserker' and 'Athelstane' over 2 miles from Crocodile Ck to Cambridge St.  He was an excellent marksman and one of the Rifle Club's best. Said of him at the annual prize meeting of the Rifle Association: "The scoring was decidedly good, and the winner turned up in G. A. Tilbury, who put on 48-eight bulls and two centres-and took first prize. This was a fine performance, and ranks with the best shooting so far at the meeting."

1903. Both Marcus and George were involved with the Rockhampton Rugby Union club, Marcus as a vice-president, George as an auditor.

George (28), who had been in the service of the bank for 11 years in Rockhampton, received notice of his appointment and promotion to a position on the relieving staff of the bank with his headquarters in Sydney. He had joined the bank as a junior and worked himself up to the position of accountant, which he occupied for two years. He was to proceed to Charters Towers on 21 Nov 1903, where it was planned he'd be stationed for three or four months before proceeding to Sydney. In Charters Towers he continued Rifle Shooting, joining the Bankers rifle team.

1905. Goulburn Evening Penny Post 12 Sep reports that George had been "in a relieving position for some time" at the Bank of Australasia in Goulburn NSW. He was leaving for Sydney 13 Sep. "During his term in Goulburn Mr Tilbury has made himself highly popular."

1909. George was in Crookwell NSW (not far from Goulburn) and was involved in launching the Crookwell Turf Club. He was elected Treasurer. He was also a member of the Crookwell Shooting Club.

1910. 30 Apr. Goulburn Evening Penny Post:

Yet another well-known figure steps out of the ranks of the business men of this town ... Mr. G. A. Tilbury, for the past two years manager of the Bank of Australasia here, is removing to Junee to take charge of the recently-opened branch there, and his departure will be generally regretted. Mr. Tilbury has been an energetic member of the Crookwell Rifle Club, being one of the crack shots of the district, and that body will miss him considerably. The recently-formed Turf Club owed its inception to him, and no one could have worked harder to ensure its striking success than did the treasurer. In this department of sport his place will be hard to fill. Mr. A. C. Parker will succeed him.

On 11 Jun George tendered his resignation from the School of Arts, Goulburn, as he was leaving the district.

1913. On 28 Nov the social pages of the local newspaper reported that George was catching the mail train back to Sydney after spending a week in Rockhampton.

George & Dulcie

George Arthur Tilbury (1875-1944)

George Arthur Tilbury (1875-1944)

Dulcie Mildred Blacket (1895-1956)

  • Father: Edwin Newbald Blacket (1848-1908)
  • Mother: Rose Annette Blacket nee Barker (1860-1916)
  • Born: 11 Nov 1895, Dubbo, NSW
  • Married: 1 Jun 1917, George Arthur Tilbury, St.Clement's, Mosman, Sydney NSW
  • Died: 8 Oct 1956, Brisbane, QLD
  • Cremated: Mt. Thompson Memorial Gardens, Holland Park, Brisbane
Dulcie Mildred (Blacket) Tilbury (1895-1956)


  • Birth 1875 George Arthur Tilbury
  • Marriage 1917 George Arthur Tilbury, Dulcie Mildred Blacket
  • Death 1944 George Arthur Tilbury
Dulcie, Red Cross 1950
Dulcie Mildred
George Arthur
Dulcie skiing
George & Dulcie's house Hunters Hill ca1940
Lloyd David & Clive Edwin Tilbury ca1920, sons of George & Dulcie
Clive Edwin & Lloyd David

1917. George Arthur (42) was living in Gordon, Sydney. On 1 Jun 1917 he and Dulcie Mildred Blacket (22) were married at St.Clement's, Mosman, by Rev C.T. Yarrington. Dulcie was the youngest daughter of the late Edwin N. Blacket of Dubbo, NSW.

1918. Clive Edwin Tilbury was born.

1919. Lloyd David Tilbury was born. George was a bank accountant living at 'Cooinda', Waters Rd, Neutral Bay, Sydney.

c1925. George was the manager of the Bank of Australasia at Kogarah during the teenage years of Clive, Lloyd and their cousins Ralph Blacket (1919-2008), Selwyn Blacket (1921) and Joan Blacket (1923). Lloyd was nine days older than Ralph. Ralph’s father Selwyn Edwin Blacket (1889-1939) worked at the same bank but resigned and became a real estate agent at Hurstville just prior to the Depression. The boys were fond of sport, playing tennis and using a paddock near the bank manager's residence to play hockey and cricket. The two families often took holidays together at Austinmer on the NSW south coast.

At some time after managing the bank George became a bank inspector.

1934. Dulcie was awarded a Dressmaking Diploma by the Technical Education Branch [of ?]. [source: SMH 23 Jan 1935]

1940. The family was living at 28 Joubert St, Hunter's Hill NSW. The old sandstone coach house still exists. In April son Clive Edwin (21) enlisted for service in WWII, followed in May by Lloyd David (20).

1942. On 20 April George and Dulcie moved to 1 Marimbah Flats, Alexander St, Hunter's Hill.

1944. On 2 Sep George (69) died at 107 Pacific Highway, Chatswood NSW as a result of cancer of the colon. He had suffered from Locomotor Ataxia for 5 years. His cremation was held 5 Sep at the Northern Suburbs Crematorium. Clive (25) was preparing for his wedding; Lloyd (24) was at his first diplomatic posting in India.

Dulcie was heavily involved with the Red Cross and on 16 Oct 1944 she was appointed Divisional Director of Red Cross Library Services.

1946-1947. After WWII ended Dulcie, in her role as Divisional Director, instigated a project to install libraries in 90 hospitals across Queensland. This meant travelling the length and breadth of Queensland to install the libraries, which she did herself with very little time between towns. An interview she gave to the Daily Mercury, Mackay on 16 Aug 1947, explains the project well:

State Wide Cover By Red Cross Libraries

WITH 40 libraries already established in Queensland, extending through centres from Cairns in the north to Toowoomba in the south, and to western centres including Cloncurry and Winton, the Red Cross Library Service, a peace time adaptation of the service which during the war provided books for many thousands of sick and wounded soldiers, will, when its scheme is fully extended, provide hospitals in 90 centres with books.

The director of the Red Cross Library Service in Queensland (Mrs. D. M. Tilbury) has recently established one of these libraries at the Mackay District Hospital, The library here will contain 810 books when it is fully equipped. Interviewed yesterday Mrs. Tilbury said Red Cross libraries are standardised throughout Australia. The same type of library was to be found In military hospitals, homes, sanltoria and naval depots. Each was balanced, containing sections of books dealing with various subjects such as travel, crime, fiction, etc. When Individual libraries were being shipped to hospitals in forward areas the cases in which they were shipped had their contents similarly balanced. Thus if one case, out of perhaps 12, was lost, only a few books from each section would have gone with it, and the library would not have been deprived of one entire section.

When the war ended no more fresh books were wanted, the hospitals closed and the libraries were returned to headquarters. There were on hand between 45,000 and 50,000 books, and the question arose— what could be done with them? It was decided as one of the "A" priorities, that the books be utilised in general hospitals throughout Australia. In equipping the hospitals the same principle of balance will be preserved. The same system is being worked in England, and Mrs. Tilbury said that in a circular pamphlet from London an article written by a doctor stated that the books were proving to be a great benefit in the rehabilitation of hospital inmates. Lots of people had never had the opportunity to read extensively, as they wished, and their hours of idleness provided ample opportunity to indulge in this recreation.

Calls and requests come for all types of books. Mrs. Tilbury said on one occasion during the war the Library Service received a call for James Hilton's "Lost Horizon." The lad who called for the book was very badly injured, beyond recovery, and was losing his sight. Calls were made over the air for this book and when one was supplied provision was also made for someone to read to the injured man. Once people begin to read they frequently develop an Interest in one of the many subjects the libraries deal with. Requests have been made for books on art and the necessary volumes on painting, etc., have been secured.  Some readers have desired books on photography and these have been procured. On one occasion literature on bridge was requested and again calls were made over the air for books on the game. About half a dozen were eventually procured, though normally they would have been very difficult to obtain.

At Red Cross Headquarters there Is a staff of 12 voluntary helpers lending valuable assistance to this section of the Red Cross work and at Mackay there Is also an urgent need for more assistance in distributing the books at the District Hospital. It has been suggested that the establishment of libraries in the centres where they have been placed has meant that the amenity has been placed where it is least needed — these books having a greater demand on them In the smaller centres where libraries of any kind are non-existent. Mrs. Tilbury said the difficulty of equipping the hospital of every small centre with books was obvious, but it was hoped that once libraries were established in key points then the local organisations would be able to push the system farther afield. Red Cross, besides receiving books, has a regular supply of magazines coming In, and In the last three months alone, 30,000 magazines have been Issued.

1950-51. Dulcie went overseas and served in Frankfurt, Germany with the British Red Cross under the British Army of Occupation.

[when did she move to Toowoomba?]

1956. Dulcie died 8 Oct at the age of 60, whilst employed at the Glennie Girls School in Toowoomba, Queensland. She was cremated in Brisbane. The Mt. Thompson Memorial Gardens at 373 Nursery Road, Holland Park, Brisbane is a very large crematorium established in 1934. Until 1970 it was the only crematorium serving the Brisbane area but not all records have yet been digitised.

The Blackets


  • Marriage 1881 Edwin Newbold Blacket, Rose Annette Barker
Blacket Coat of Arms
Blacket Reunion 1983
Edwin Newbold Blacket (1849-1908)
Rose Annette Barker
Edmund Thomas Blacket (1817-1883)
?Sydney Uni Great Hall, architect Edmund Blacket

Dulcie was the daughter of Edwin Newbald Blacket (1848-1908) and Rose Annette Blacket nee Barker (1860-1916).

Dulcie’s grandfather, Russell Blacket (1822-1877) brought his family out to Australia in 1858. Russell was the brother of famous Australian colonial architect Edmund Thomas Blacket (1817-1883) and was assisted by Edmund in his early years in Australia. Edmund's works include St.Andrews Cathedral in Sydney, the Great Hall at Sydney University, a cathedral in Perth and 116 other churches. Other relatives include Wrigleys (chewing gum), Sir Charles Kingsford Smith, and Edmund's father James, who invented the "Blacket Cloth", still used today for butchers' aprons.1

PDF: Blacket Line of Descent from Egbert, King of West Saxons, created from research done by Nick Vine Hall (1944-2006), author of 'My Name is Blacket' and great grandson of Edmund Blacket (1817-1883). Note that Al Kirtley has since contacted me requesting inclusion of the Blacket family tree details into his tree at Al's research indicated the existence of another John Blackheved, which would remove Sir John from the Line of Descent.

PDF: Family Tree of John Blacket (1747-1795).

Dulcie’s father Edwin (Eddy) Newbold Blacket (1849-1908) was born in Kent and was 10 years old when the family moved to Australia in 1858. He had carrot-red hair, was a skilled water colour artist and was fond of writing doggerel. He was a storekeeper in Gulgong NSW and married Mary L’Estrange (1856-1884), aged 24 on 31 Mar 1874 in Gulgong. Mary was an ancestor of the Lawries. In the early 1880s Edwin ran a general store in Dubbo and then opened a stock and station agency. Mary died at the age of 28 and two years later Edwin, 38 and Rose Annette Barker, 26 were married on 14 Aug 1886 at St. Matthew’s church, Windsor by Edwin’s brother, Rev. Arthur Russell Blacket.

Rose (1860-1916) was born in Norwich, Norfolk, the daughter of a Church of England minister [the Dean of Norwich? Ref. Ralph]. She was well educated and after travelling to Australia in 1884 had been a governess to Edwin’s children from his first marriage. She was living in Sydney at the time of her marriage to Edwin.

Edwin and Rose lived in ‘Arborfield’, Bourke St, Dubbo, where all eight children, of which Dulcie was the seventh, were born. Dulcie was born 11 Nov 1895. Around 1900 Edwin and Rose retired to 'Glesca', Park View Rd, Manly, where Edwin died of a heart attack on 28 Jul 1908 at the age of 60. Rose moved to 'Trequillo', Warren Rd, Marrickville and died there on 22 May 1916 at the age of 56.

Dulcie was tall, about 5'10" and slender. She and her brother Selwyn played the piano, excelling in the classics. Their father Selwyn was an excellent pianist.

Ralph Blacket remembers his favourite aunt as having a lot of style. The children were captives of their mother, Rose Annette nee Barker, who was dedicated to the Church of England in general and Holy Trinity Dubbo in particular. There Dulcie and Selwyn learnt music but neither of them became "knees on the ground" christians. Selwyn preferred cricket, tennis and rugby and formed a little dance band in  Dubbo "which earned him more than his bank job!" He died when Ralph was 20 and the only time Ralph ever saw him in church was at his funeral.

c1905. Dulcie’s brother Selwyn Edwin entered his first job as a bank clerk in the Bank of Australasia at Dubbo. Selwyn and Dulcie's father Edwin Newbald Blacket was a stock and station agent in Dubbo and a friend of Mr Sillar, the bank manager who gave Selwyn, aged 16 or 17, his first job. Ralph, commenting on a photo of Selwyn and Edwin taken 300 miles inland of the colony, 1,200 miles away from England, was impressed that they were turned out as gentlemen, dressed as they would be in London.

Children of George & Dulcie

[1] "My Name is Blacket", 1983, Nick Vine Hall, Dir. Society of Australian Gealogists
[2] Photo provided by Carol Taylor, grand-daughter of Marcus Edward

Add Comment

Note: For privacy reasons your email address is not published. If you wish to publish it, add it to the text of your comment and it will be given spam-protection masking.