Clive Edwin Tilbury (1918-1996)


1918. Clive was born 15-Jun in Sydney and educated at Canterbury High School and Sydney Church of England Grammar School (SCEGS), also known as "Shore".

1935. In June Clive joined the staff of the Commonwealth Bank and remained with them until 1951.

1937. Clive joined the Militia 7th Field Brigade (horse-drawn field artillery) as a Gunner, No. 268326. The Australian Citizens Military Forces (CMF) , also known as the Militia, had been maintained since World War I. Training consisted of unit training one night a week, weekend camps throughout the year and an annual two-week camp. The uniform comprised navy blue tunics with brass buttons and khaki corduroy riding breeches sheathed in black leggings and boots. Teams of six horses were used to trot the guns into position under the control of three mounted drivers. Two men were seated on the ammunition limber, followed by the gun. Once in position the limber and gun were detached and the horses trotted to wagon lines under their drivers, while the gunners positioned the gun and limber and prepared to fire.

1939. Australia’s involvement in World War II did not begin until 3 Sep. Until 1942 the volunteer force could only be called on to fight within Australia, when this was extended to include those islands between Australia and the Equator. The AIF, also a volunteer force, could be sent to fight anywhere in the world.

1940. The 7th Field Brigade (Militia) formed the core of the 2/6th Australian Field Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery (RAA), 7th Australian Division of the 2th AIF. The nucleus of the Regiment came from the 1st, 7th, 14th, 18th and 21st Military Artillery Brigades.

On 18-Apr Clive enlisted at Greta Camp NSW with the AIF 2/6th Australian Field Regiment Artillery, 7th Division, No. NX13782. He served with the AIF in the Middle East, Papua New Guinea and Borneo until Oct 1945.

1941. In September, whilst serving in the Middle East, Clive was promoted to the rank of Bdr.

1942. Clive left the Middle East on the Halvidar, embarking on 12 Feb for the eight-week journey to 4MD [where is this? Adelaide M? Don?]. In June both Clive and Lloyd were granted 10 days Home Leave, and on 6 Sep both departed Brisbane on the Jason Lee, arriving in Port Moresby 11 days later. Clive remained in Papua New Guinea for 16 months and in Feb 1943 was promoted to the rank of Sergeant.

Clive & Heather

Clive Edwin Tilbury (1918-1996)

Clive Edwin Tilbury (1918-1996)

Heather Winifred Stark (1921-1996)

  • Father: Lt. Col. Alick Vernie Stark
  • Mother: Florence Isabel nee Noble
  • Born: 5 Jun 1921, East Brisbane, QLD
  • Married: 27 Sep 1944, Clive Edwin Tilbury, Albert St.Methodist Church, Brisbane
  • Died: 1996, Brisbane, QLD
Heather Winifred (Stark) Tilbury (1921-1996)
Clive Edwin in 1944
Heather Winifred in 1943

1944. Clive left Papua New Guinea on 17 Jan on the Stephen Girard and arrived back in Brisbane two weeks later. Throughout the year Clive suffered from bouts of the malaria he had contracted whilst in Papua New Guinea. Heather was posted to Greenslopes Hospital and in Aug transferred to the 7th Orthopaedic Hospital in Toowoomba, where she met Clive. They were married six weeks later on 27 Sep at the Albert St.Methodist Church in Brisbane.

At the time of her marriage to Clive, Heather was living with her parents at Bardon. Heather held the rank of Sergeant but went AWL after being refused leave to join Clive at his posting on the Atherton Tableland prior to being posted overseas. She was demoted to Corporal, much to the chagrin of her father, a Lieutenant Colonel.

1945. On 9 Jun Clive left Brisbane on the Howell Lykes and spent nine days travelling to Morotai, an island in the Halmahera group of eastern Indonesia's Maluku Islands, where he spent three weeks before travelling to Balikpapan on the Morotai-Lst. He remained in Balikpapan (Longser) [def?] until 23 Aug, arriving back in Brisbane 4 Sep on the HMAS Kanimbla. Sergeant Clive Tilbury was discharged from the 2/6th Field Regiment on 6 Oct as a result of demobilisation.

1945. After the war Clive and Heather lived in Sydney where Clive resumed his job with the Commonwealth Bank. 

Son Lloyd was born in Ryde and daughter Sally in Strathfield.

1951. After Clive resigned from the Commonwealth Bank in November the family moved to a 5-acre flower farm at Eight Mile Plains, Queensland. Small crops and citrus were added to make the farm a viable concern.

1956. Heb used her strength, tenacity and practical sense to work the flower farm at Eight Mile Plains on her own during the week and with the family at weekends. After several flower crops failed due to hailstorms and cyclones Clive took up a position with Brownbuilt and remained with them until he retired as Sales Manager in Feb 1977.

1961. Both Heb's parents died within a week, the shock took its toll and the family moved from the farm to a house recently puchased by Heb's parents at 17 Mitchell St, Sunnybank. Heb became involved in voluntary work as a part-time teacher's aide at the Queensland Sub-Normal Children's Centre and as president of the Parents' and Friends' Association at Brisbane Girls' Grammar School, where Sally was a student.

Heb was invited to join the permanent staff at the Wacol Sheltered Workshop for Autistic Young Adults and later at the R.J. Andrews Special School at Sunnybank, where she remained until her retirement in 1981. Her artistic talents shone through when she became interested in spinning and weaving and joined the Queensland Association, where she became the membership secretary for two years. She also conducted monthly instruction sessions with blind people at Braille House.

Clive was elected President of Brisbane Legacy in 1966 and President of the Sunnybank Bowls Club in 1969.

1981. On retirement Heb spent a great deal of time weaving and in the garden, her other great love, which she considered "good for the soul".

1992. Slowly declining in health as a result of Alzheimers Disease, Heb was looked after by Clive. With a rapid deterioration in her condition at the end of 1995 and the need for Clive to have major heart surgery, Heb was admitted to Salvin Park Nursing Home.

1996. Heb died of heart failure in Brisbane on 6 Aug. At the funeral service held for her at St. David's Church, Coopers Plains, Brisbane on 9 Aug her son Lloyd, who delivered the eulogy, said of her:

“There are many things we will remember about Mum, especially her lovely, cheery nature and ready smile, her support and understanding and her ability to always be there for all of us without interfering, her sense of the ridiculous and her spontaneous infectious laugh, never more obvious than during family gatherings, especially when Mum and her sister Shirley, who were very close, would regale us with tales of the past.”

Clive died not long after Heb in 1996.

The Starks

1921. Heather was born 5 Jun in East Brisbane, where her father, Lt.Col. Alick Vernie Stark was employee of the family business of Allen & Stark. Her sister Shirley was born four years later. Heather and Shirley were educated at Buranda State School and then at Somerville House.

1930s. The Stark family moved to 6 The Drive, Bardon, Brisbane and Heather's father became the first Aide-de-Camp and later official Secretary to Sir Leslie Wilson, Governor of Queensland.

ca1943. Heather began nursing training at St.Martens Hospital but before she could qualify war was declared and she enlisted in the Australian Army Medical Women’s Service (AAMWS).

Children of Clive & Heather

Lloyd Geoffrey

Married Ann Rosslyn Cartwright and they had two children, Timothy and Jennifer.

Sally Anna

Married John Griffiths and they had two children, Emily and Lucy.

Add Comment

Note: For privacy reasons your email address is not published. If you wish to publish it, add it to the text of your comment and it will be given spam-protection masking.